Morgan-Marrow Company was started in 1904 when Mr. M. H. Morgan bought the insurance accounts of Mr. James M. Cumming so that Mr. Morgan could offer his clients both real estate and insurance services.
Mr. Harry Marrow, a prominent citizen of Hampton, joined the agency with the intention of becoming a partner. This agreement was never consummated even though the name was changed to Morgan-Marrow Company in 1907.
Mr. Marrow operated the Tidewater Home and Savings Association in the Morgan-Marrow office until his death in 1958 and the Tidewater Home & Savings Association was sold to the Newport News Savings and Loan Association in 1971.
Mr. J. B. Morgan joined his father in the agency in 1930 and Mr. Edwin J. Morgan, who had been a Marine Special Agent with the Home Insurance Company, joined his father and brother in the agency business in 1947. Mr. John E. Sim, a Marine Supervisor with the Home Insurance Company joined the agency after Mr. M. H. Morgan’s death in 1960.
Morgan-Marrow Company became incorporated in 1965. Mr. John B. Morgan, II joined the agency in 1969 and in 1971 managed the Newport News branch until his transfer to the Hampton office in 1981. Mr. Edwin J. Morgan, Jr. came with the agency in 1973 and in 1974 was transferred to Gloucester where he managed the Gloucester operations.
He presently serves as President of the agency overseeing all agency operations. Mr. J. B. Morgan retired from the business in January of 1974 and Mr. Edwin J. Morgan retired in June of 1981. Mr. J. Michael Sim came with the agency in April of 1983 to begin an office in Williamsburg and moved to the Newport News office in July of that year. He worked in the Hampton office from September of 1986 until April of 1992 when he was transferred to the Gloucester office where he managed Gloucester operations until June of 1996. He presently works in the Hampton office. Mr. J. Stuart Sim came to work for the agency in January 1990 to produce business in our Virginia Beach office.
Mr. John E. Sim retired in December of 1996 and Mr. John B. Morgan, II retired in April 2015. The current principal stockholders of the agency are Edwin J. Morgan, Jr., J. Michael Sim and J. Stuart Sim.
The Agency’s growth is attributed to the aggressive sales and marketing and service efforts of a dedicated staff. Various agency acquisitions have contributed significantly to the agency growth.
In 1969 the Fletcher Insurance Agency of Yorktown was purchased and this was the beginning of our Yorktown branch office. Glenwood Limited and Batson Realty’s Insurance business was acquired in 1969 and the Dowden Insurance Agency in 1970, merging these operations into the Hampton office. The purchase of the Penrose Insurance Agency of Newport News in 1974 was the base that started the Newport News office. In Gloucester, the Farinholt Insurance Agency was purchased during 1974 and this gave rise to the Gloucester branch.
In 1980, the Rawls Insurance Agency of Newport News was merged into the Newport News branch office. Also in 1980, Norfolk Insurance Exchange was acquired and our Virginia Beach branch opened for business. The purchase of the Wornom and TICO agencies took place in 1982.
In May of 1986 the purchase of the Billups agency was made and merged into the Gloucester operation. The Browning Insurance Group was acquired in 1987 and consolidated into the Virginia Beach office. November of 1988 saw the location change of the Hampton office and the merging of the Newport News operation. In November of 1989 the Poquoson Insurance Agency T/A Lindberg and Company was purchased, and this business became part of Hampton’s operation.
The Yorktown branch merged into Hampton in 1992 and in 2003, the headquarters moved to its current location at 21 Manhattan Square in Hampton. The agency has deep roots in the Virginia Peninsula and a solid base in each of its branch operations.